Thursday, August 17, 2017

Town vs. country

I'm from a small town originally. The country doesn't appeal so much to me because I'm used to it, unlike some city-slickers. There are a lot of respects in which I prefer the town.

For one thing, I've never learned to drive.  Torontonians are lucky to have a public transit system as good as this one is, considering how little public money gets put into it!  I'm especially glad that Toronto still has streetcars.

In addition, I'm in a lot of Meetup groups.  It takes a big city like Toronto for significant groups of people with the same interest to come together. (Other examples are my opera group, and this memoir group.) And the library system has a wide range of books, some of them in big enough numbers to facilitate book clubs.  And you can see a lot more movies in a cinema instead of waiting for the video.

What don't I like about the city? It can get noisy, and my ears are sensitive.  And I don't see as many stars as I used to see in the country. (I remember the night of the big blackout of 2003 when more stars were visible than usual.) And with so many people, some are unpredictable, so I'm more on my guard here.  But all that's a pretty small price compared to the advantages!

No comments:

Post a Comment