Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Flatulence


I remember the graffiti in some of my school textbooks.  One book had the title Language Arts, so of course someone changed it to "Language Farts." (That's about the first time I heard that word.  A little while later I heard my brother refer to the movie Hearts of the West as "farts of the west"!) In one book someone wrote on the front page, "In case of fire turn to page 37" (or some number like that) and on page 37 he wrote "I said in case of fire, fag!" Someone wrote in another book, "In case of fire, throw in!" And they drew moustaches and beards on the people in the history textbooks too.

For a while I was with a job-training group for people like me with Asperger's Syndrome.  We didn't quite click--they were micromanagers.  On one occasion I farted and my supervisor said, "James, that was not appropriate." I had a blue-collar friend I met at karaoke and when I told him about it he said, "When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!"

You know the expression "Read my lips"? Apparently the way it started was that young men in New York City would fart and say "Read my lips!"

Of course, the western spoof Blazing Saddles has a famous scene where cowboys eat beans and fart.  And there was this movie A Single Man where redhead Julianne Moore says, "When I stand on my head, I'm a brunette with bad breath!"

Steve Martin once said in his stand-up routine, "If someone says to you 'Mind if I smoke?" answer 'No, mind if I fart?'" Actually, when a smoker is considerate enough to request my consent I give him a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment