Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Your last day ever

What will I do on my last day?  I like to think that I'll still be learning things even then.  Maybe I'll be writing a final post for my blog!  Maybe I'll still be playing Candy Crush Saga!  I like to imagine life ending in medias res.

St. Ignatius Loyola created the Jesuit order.  On one occasion he was playing a ball game with his seminary pupils.  He asked them, "What would you do if you found out that the earth was going to be destroyed in one hour?" They all said they'd go to the chapel and pray fervently, but Loyola said, "I'd finish this ball game."

Prisoners who are about to get executed get a last meal. When Bill Clinton was running for President in 1992, on the eve of the crucial New Hampshire primary he ordered the execution of a prisoner so brain-damaged that he put aside part of his last meal to eat later!  So cynical...

If they were going to execute me but gave me the choice of how to go, I'd choose a firing squad because they work quickly.  Lethal injection is the last thing I'd choose! (It's something Don Draper invented.)

No comments:

Post a Comment