Monday, April 16, 2018

Moving to a new place

I haven't moved that much in my life.  I've lived at the same Toronto address for the last 25 years, except for the eight months when I was researching my Ph.D. in London.  Before that, I spent 25 of my first 28 years at the same address in Sackville, N.B. (I heard that Eudora Welty lived in one house for her whole life.  Someone said that such stability is good for a writer.)

When I was young, my father was a physics professor who went on sabbaticals every seven or nine years.  In 1965 we went to Brighton, England, for a year, just when it was a big mod scene, though Father remembers none of that. (He does remember seeing the live TV talk show where Kenneth Tynan used the F-word.) My older siblings went to an English grammar school, but I was still a pre-schooler.

In 1974 we went to Mississauga for a year.  Then in 1981 we spent four months in England (near Canterbury), then eight months in Toronto.  In 1988 we spent a year in Glasgow, Scotland:  by this time my older siblings had gone their own way, and it was just the parents and me.  It was in 1995 that I went to London, and for me that was a bit like another sabbatical year.  Otherwise I've mostly stayed in the same place.  But I've done some travelling, including China and Japan:  I recently calculated that I've spent a week of my life in the air!

No comments:

Post a Comment