Friday, April 27, 2018

The dollar store

In the pre-inflation days, dollar stores were called five & ten cent stores.  I recall there was a song that went, "I found a million-dollar baby at the five and ten cent store"!

I remember the Woolworth's in Moncton.  I liked the lunch counter's strawberry shortcake.  It also had the first escalator I ever rode on.  I also recall there was a monkey in the basement.

Moncton also had a Kmart.  I remember their white cylindrical trash cans with a round dome on the top.

Remember Terrytoons?  They were these cartoons that got shown on TV a lot, including Heckle and Jeckle, a couple of obnoxious birds who'd say things like "You can do anything in an animated cartoon!" There was also a neurotic elephant called Silly Sidney, with a lion character who was always saying, "Crazy elephant!" (The African-style music was cool.) Why am I mentioning all this?  Because the studio head, Paul Terry, once said, "Disney is the Tiffany's of animation, while Terrytoons is the Woolworth's."

No comments:

Post a Comment