Thursday, July 26, 2018

Caves

I haven't been in caves a lot. But I like tunnels.  In Greenwich near London, there's a foot tunnel that you can take under the Thames River, with an elevator at both ends.  When I visit London I like to go there. (They should build a tunnel like that to the Toronto Islands!)

I read somewhere that there are still a million Chinese people living in caves.

When I was a teenager I enjoyed playing the computer game Adventure, which involved finding treasures in a cave network.

Ever see the movie Ace in the Hole?  It's an acidic black comedy, directed by Billy Wilder, with Kirk Douglas as a big-city reporter demoted to a small-town paper.  One day he finds out about someone stuck in a cave and sees an opportunity for a big comeback, so for the sake of leverage with the big papers he delays the guy's rescue!  Of course, it all ends badly.  Kirk Douglas was well suited to these antihero roles.  Jan Sterling has a classic line: "I don't go to church.  Kneeling bags my nylons."

No comments:

Post a Comment