Saturday, December 1, 2018

Memorable event

I remember 9/11 because I was personally affected:  I was going to fly to England that night, but the flight was cancelled because so many American planese were landing at Pearson and other airports in Canada.  In the end, I left two days late.  I couldn't help recalling how some Americans had celebrated the levelling of Baghdad just ten years before. (Bad, bad karma!)

And I remember the morning after Trump's election two years ago.  I knew Hillary Clinton's weaknesses but had expected her to win anyway--I'd given up doubting.  I recalled meeting a psychologist called Liljana who was interviewing me for her doctoral thesis. (I have Asperger's Syndrome.) She was a Serb living in Croatia who had to flee to Canada when the ethnic wars destroyed Yugoslavia.  She told me that when the war started nobody could believe it:  they all thought someone would stop it!  I guess that's how I felt after Trump's election.

(I felt the same sort of disbelief back in 1995 when I heard that O.J. Simpson had been acquitted.  I was living in London at the time and hadn't paid the trial much attention.)

No comments:

Post a Comment