Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Carrots & Popeye the Sailor

One thing we usually grow in our garden is carrots.  The really hard part is thinning them, pulling out the greater part so that the rest will have room to grow. (I always let my sister Moira do that.)

I've always enjoyed eating carrots. (I'd make a good horse.) That's something I have in common with Bugs Bunny.  I remember this cartoon where he and Daffy Duck climbed a beanstalk and met up with a giant Elmer Fudd. (At one point they ran around inside his hollow head!) In the end, Bugs was running away but ran into this giant carrot patch, so it was a happy ending for him.

Giuseppe, my former singing teacher, is a man of firm opinions.  He loves the old Popeye cartoons, but hates The Simpsons, which he called "grotesque." I said, "Well, Popeye's a bit grotesque too," and he said, "That's different!  Popeye is a caricature." I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Since I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, whenever someone asks how I feel about it, I quote Popeye the Sailor: "I yam what I yam!"

No comments:

Post a Comment