Thursday, January 24, 2019

Bands

When I was in junior high school I played saxophone in the school band for a while. Too bad that the music teacher had it in for me!  I missed two practices for reasons that were out of my control, and he took to saying, "So, Mr. Matthews, you decided to come today!" Then at one practice he singled me out for criticism.  I suppose I wasn't very good, but I decided, "This is more trouble than it's worth," and handed in my instrument.  He wasn't pleased, but he didn't try to dissuade me.

I remember the time we got a rubber band under one of our stove's heating elements and it melted.  What a stench!

And some years back I saw the miniseries Band of Brothers, about a company of paratroopers who suffered the U.S. Army's biggest loss in World War II.  I can't imagine having that kind of courage!

No comments:

Post a Comment