Sunday, March 17, 2019

Sidewalk cafes

Sidewalk cafes don't particularly interest me.  I remember them in the Gene Kelly musical An American in Paris.  But sidewalks I am interested in. 

In my hometown of Sackville, N.B., they painted a line along the edge of one street, and that was the sidewalk!  If you look at the current blocks on Toronto sidewalks, one in a while you'll see one that was laid in 1967, with the Centennial logo!

There's a funny 1930s Warner Brothers musical, Footlight Parade, with some great off-camera dialogue.  Miss Rich is a glamorous woman who's been distracting impresario James Cagney, but eventually his secretary Joan Blondell kicks her out, saying: "As long as they have sidewalks, you've got a job!" (At another point she says, "I've already met miss Bi--I mean, miss Rich!") This was before they introduced the 1934 Production Code and cracked down on that sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment