Tuesday, March 5, 2019

What does Canada mean to me?

We aren't American--well, duh!

There's a Norse legend that the birds had a contest to see who could fly highest.  The Eagle expected to win, but the Wren hitched a ride on his shoulder, and when the Eagle had flown as high as he could the Wren hopped a couple more inches, and won the contest!  The way I look at it, Canada is the wren.

I don't really care for the beaver as a symbol of  Canada --I prefer the moose!

I must say I'm glad I was born into a Canadian family.  A few weeks ago my retired father had pneumonia and spent several days in the hospital. Imagine how much a hospital stay can cost if you live in the United States!

I suppose that it's the fate of Canadians to be constantly comparing themselves to Americans, who never compare themselves to us. Canadians still have a bit of the colonial mentality that Americans lost long ago--you can see it in our use of the word "world-class." It isn't really the Canadian way to take pride in your nation the way Americans do, and paradoxically that's something I'm proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment