Wednesday, March 13, 2019

What's your greatest achievement?

"One life is only important in how it affects other lives"--Jackie Robinson

Well, I did earn a Ph.D. in history twenty years ago, but I've never taken much pride in it. (I was lucky to pass!) I felt like in the movie Easy Rider when Dennis Hopper said "We did it!" but Peter Fonda said "We blew it."

As odd as it may sound, I'd say my greatest achievement has been making friends.  I suppose most people have made friends off and on, to some extent, since childhood, so it doesn't seem so big to them.  But I've had Asperger's Syndrome for a long time, and I never used to be good at making friends.

I really got serious about meeting people and making friends in my forties.  The website meetup.com has been a great help to me toward that end. (Some say that the Internet is turning people into cocooners, but this is a case where it's actually promoted real-life social activities!)

I suppose I'm going against the Aspie stereotype of having no friends.  I've made a long-term effort to change, and it can be done, at least in my case.

I must say that this memoir group is good for making friends.  When people get together and recite stories from their lives, they're bound to become friendly!  Thanks to all of you, especially Selia our organizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment