Thursday, November 28, 2013

Impromptu speaking

I haven't had a lot of occasions to speak in public.  One came when I was living at Goodenough College in London back in the mid-'90s.  Desiree McGraw organized a recycling group and I helped a lot with it.  I'd take things out to the big recycling bin out on the street.  Unfortunately, at first I didn't realize that in Britain "cans" only mean aluminum cans. (Tin cans they call "tins.") I also took some stuff up to the big recycling center in Camden Town.

A lot of beer and wine bottles accumulated in a smelly basement room.  One time I was taking away a big load for recycling.  When Mrs. Vickers the warden saw me carrying them, she thought they were my bottles and said, "I hadn't thought you were a drinking man." That was really funny to me because, like my parents, I never drink.

So the occasion for me to speak came near the end of my stay when my residence, William Goodenough House, had a big meeting.  Unexpectedly, it was up to me to speak about the recycling program.  So I got up and talked about how we were doing it and encouraged other volunteers.  I did it pretty well.  In fact, some people were impressed that I managed to do it in two minutes flat!

No comments:

Post a Comment