Saturday, November 2, 2013

Potluck dinners

I've been to a few potluck dinners.  The problem with them is that people tend to bring way too much food.  If I were arranging one I'd have about half the people bring food, and the other half drinks and such.

At home we sometimes have potluck to get rid of leftovers. (How did people do this before microwaves?) I can usually be relied on to finish off the pasta, especially when it includes fettucine alfredo. (I cook a good fettucine alfredo.) Except that I don't care for vegetarian lasagna.  Sometimes I'll get corn on the cob and eat that while the others eat the leftovers.

Sometimes my brother John and his girlfriend Kathrine come over and bring dinner.  Except that they're vegans, and I rarely care for vegan food. (Vegans make you appreciate mere vegetarians, who are easier to cook for.) Generally I'll sneak out to McDonald's or KFC after a while.  So I don't care for vegan leftovers either.

But I do approve of people eating as little meat as they can.  In both world wars they had Meatless Mondays, and I say we should bring them back.  You could say that I'm a hypocrite to encourage others not to eat meat while I eat it myself.  But there it is.  I'm just glad that I like some foods without meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment