Saturday, October 26, 2013

Being chosen last

(This is a subject I suggested.)

When I was in Grade 7 gym class, when we separated into two groups for a game, the teacher would sometimes let the boys choose their own teams. (No doubt progressive educational theory talked about giving children responsibility.) But I say they should pass an Act of Parliament to outlaw the practice.  For yes, it was my lot to be chosen last.  Every single time.  If I'd just been chosen second-last I wouldn't have minded.

At least the guys who did the choosing enjoyed it.  After all, they were being given the power to rate all the others, in order.  One time I was not only chosen last, but both teams insisted that the other team take me, and they both stood their ground.  There always has to be someone chosen last, but this was sheer meanness.  They were simply drunk with power.

Some kids enjoy gym class, but I never did.

No comments:

Post a Comment