Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Bad grades

(Note:  this is a subject I suggested.)

I my school years, I usually got very good grades.  But I had difficulties in one year when we moved to Mississauga and I entered Grade 7 there.

In history and geography class the teacher wrote stuff on the blackboard in note form and the next moment I'm hearing, "Write it down, write it down, hurry up!" So I copied the notes into my exercise book, feeling stupid but not knowing what else to do.  Then I got an E in history and a D Minus in geography.  It turned out that I was supposed to expand on these notes, and after this was belatedly explained to me my grades here improved.

In science class we were told to do reports on weeds, so I did a report on chicory.  The science teacher called it "atrocious" and sent a note to my parents. (She had to ask me for their address.)

In art class the first week we were told to paint squares, so I painted some blue squares.  I'd never been in an art class before and thought it was an accomplishment just getting it done.  The following week the art teacher returned my painting with a 1 out of 5 grade and a comment that the edges were messy. (If someone had advised me to improve the edges, I would have been willing to do so.) What bugged me is that she didn't have time to grade each week's work and only graded the first week in order to start out with a show of power.  Which meant that kids like me didn't get a chance to earn a better grade next time.  I ultimately got a D minus in art.

I failed industrial arts class, but who cares?

Not all my courses were troubled.  I've always been good at math, and did somewhat better in English (though I got a D on the Jack London story "To Build a Fire.") I also did well in French, but that was easy because I'd been learning it for years in New Brunswick, while the other kids were only starting on it.

I also failed a swimming course that fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment