Sunday, October 20, 2013

Saturday rituals

(Note:  this is a subject I suggested.)

My big Saturday morning ritual used to be reading the newspaper with the big weekend comics.  I followed Peanuts and Li'l Abner and Dick Tracy. (Mary Worth and Rex Morgan, M.D. I mostly skipped over.) The year we were in Mississauga we got The Toronto Star, whose weekend comics included Mary Perkins on Stage and Steve Roper & Mike Nomad.

I used to watch old movies on Saturday morning TV. (They'd introduce the show with a jazzed-up version of Verdi's Anvil Chorus.) These films included Shirley Temple and Joe E. Brown vehicles, and movies of the comic strip Blondie.

In the afternoon we'd often go swimming at the university athletic center.  The pool would play this Tijuana Brass record on the speaker system, so I've always associated "A Taste of Honey" with swimming.

In the early '70s I'd watch Mission:  Impossible on Saturday evenings.  What a cool show that was! (Especially the music.) I'd often watch the beginning of Hockey Night in Canada, though I was never interested enough to watch a whole game.  Before it came on, I'd watch the closing credits of Hawaii Five-O, with the Hawaiians paddling a canoe to another cool musical theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment