Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Evolution

I've never felt any reason to doubt the theory of evolution. (I once met a Jehovah's Witness who said "You can't expect a dog to give birth to cats," but that didn't convince me.) I don't see how the Bible is so incompatible with such scientific theories anyway.

On the subject of personal evolution, I suppose that people can change.  But I wouldn't bet the rent money on it.  I guess I've changed somewhat over the years.  But I change when I want to, not when people try to make me.

On the subject of political evolution, I get impatient with liberals who are quick to condemn revolutionaries and expect the whole world to wait for pressing problems to be evolved away.  They often talk about "the importance of nuance." But I say, "Change by any means necessary!"

Do I believe that things are getting better?  Yes, except when they aren't.  What depresses me are the people who think only in terms of what not to do, and hope that if we just avoid risk, things will get better naturally.  I say that sometimes you have to risk making a bad situation worse if there's to be any real hope of making it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment