Sunday, January 26, 2014

Folk music

I've always liked folk music.  When I was young I often watched the Irish Rovers on TV. (We had their album The Unicorn and their live album.) Will Millar would end the show by saying "May you be half an hour in heaven before the Devil knows you're dead!"

I also watched a show with Tommy Makem and the Newfoundland group Ryan's Fancy.  At the end of that show Tommy Makem would say things like "May your cat have a long tail!" and "May all your duck eggs have double yolks!"

I also know some Scottish folk songs, having heard Gaelic songs from the summers we spent at the Gaelic College in Cape Breton.  And I love Robert Burns' Scots dialect songs, like the rest of the world does.

And I like the songs of Pete Seeger, a big figure in the 1960s folk revival.  He's one of my big heroes in real life.  During World War II fellow folk singer Woody Guthrie put a label on his guitar saying "This machine kills fascists." Seeger's banjo says "This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender." (I also love Guthrie's songs, like the one that goes, "I ain't got a home in this world any more.")

No comments:

Post a Comment