Wednesday, January 15, 2014

How's your junk?

My mother collected antiques a lot.  I don't recall that we've ever sold them though we do sell our used books.  We have some porcelain figurines of little kids from a line that was originally designed by some German nun, which were mentioned in a book titled The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste.

We have a lot of junk down in the basement  We accumulated quite a few Parker Brothers board games, and I wonder if they're still down there somewhere.  I also wonder if we still have The Book of Knowledge, a children's encyclopedia from about a century ago that Mother had when she was a little girl.

And there's some junk in my room.  Some years ago I bought that mousetrap board game out of sheer curiosity, and it's up in my closet.  I also have a big cowboy hat that I bought from Malabar Costumes back when I was taking dancing lessons at the Arthur Murray studio a dozen years ago when they had a western-themed dance party. (I also bought a handlebar mustache and rented a poncho.) I think I also have a couple of cheap dance trophies there.

Lately my sister Moira has taken the lead with our used book business and removed several children's books from our list because they aren't worth much.  My room now has several books that she wanted to throw out, but they have sentimental value to me, since I read them when I was young.

I guess our family has "pack rat" tendencies.  I isn't so much that we're attached to old things, more that getting rid of them takes too much energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment