Sunday, June 8, 2014

Childhood playacting

I grew up with four siblings, and we used to put on what we called Biddle Family plays.  The one rule was that everyone had to die in the end.  So if you refer to a show like Hamlet or King Lear having a "Biddle Family ending," people in my family will know what that means.  We'd also do fairy tales with the good guys becoming bad guys and vice versa.

In school, they sometimes had up perform scenes based on what we were learning. (This was a fashionable approach at the time.) I didn't really get the point of it.  Later, in high school, they'd put on a musical show every year.  In hindsight, I might have tried out for that, but I had different priorities then.  In more recent years, I've joined an opera chorus and taken acting classes, but at that time it didn't interest me.  The road not taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment