Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sensitivity

I admit that I'm the sensitive type.  When I was young, people sometimes said to me, "You're too sensitive!" From their perspective my sensitivity was the weak link, but from mine it was the central fact, so I sometimes resented them.  Now that I'm a grownup and my feelings can't be dismissed as easily, it doesn't seem so important.

I'm especially sensitive to loud noises. (They literally make me jump.) Balloons make me uncomfortable because I worry that they'll burst at any moment.  My taste is sometimes sensitive too:  I can't eat onions or tomatoes.  I used to dislike steak but now I don't mind it.  And I can't stand the noise you make when you saw styrofoam.

When you're sensitive it's important to be emotionally intelligent and respect people, or they may hurt your feelings.  I remember losing an online friend after he sent me an email taking issue with something I'd written in a public forum post, and I responded angrily and he got hurt.  I hate losing friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment