Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Ethnic cuisine

Italian food I've eaten from childhood, so I don't think of it as "ethnic." (I once saw a 1930s movie where Shirley Temple was learning to eat spaghetti, which was still seen as ethnic by most Americans back then.) There was an episode of All in the Family where a neighbor served up Vichy Soisse soup and Archie Bunker said, "I'm going to eat something American--spaghetti!"

I discovered Chinese food when I was about fourteen.  I've even learned to eat it with chopsticks!  And I discovered Indian food while living in Glasgow, Scotland, in the late '80s.  Believe it or not, Glasgow's a big centre for Indian cuisine these days.  I especially like naan bread.

After moving to Toronto, I discovered Ethiopian food.  You don't use a knife and fork for that:  they serve it on a bed of soft bread which you tear off to wrap the food inside when you hold it in your fingers.  It's very spicy.

They say that when people are over thirty it's unusual for them to develop a taste for new foods.  But I hope to find some more yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment