Sunday, June 1, 2014

My funniest situation

When I was in Grade 9 Social Studies, they tried to teach us about "values." On one occasion the teacher asked us to imagine a situation where we're on one side of a wide freeway full of speeding cars and see a girl being beaten up on the other side.  Should we run across the freeway to rescue her and risk getting hit by a car?  I found the premise rather improbable, and said so.  The teacher was not pleased.

I also remember in Grade 6 when a teacher started a discussion by saying, "You're lucky you have chores.  Can you see why that's so?" Considering that he was the one making the proposition, shouldn't it have been up to him to defend it? (But this time I was too prudent to say so.)

And in Grade 5, I saw a school debate over the proposition that children over 12 should be allowed to smoke a pipe.  One pro argument was that the First Nations smoked peace pipes, so this could promote the peace process; another was that cleaning up the ashes would create jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment