Saturday, March 14, 2015

TV news

I remember watching the CBC new show The National back in the 1970s when Lloyd Robertson was the anchor. (They'd start by spelling out the title with this computer-like music.) Later it was taken over by Knowlton Nash, whom my grandfather nicknamed "Old Picklepuss." But I don't watch it much these days.  I grew up in the Maritimes, and back then the CTV news didn't come on till midnight!

I used to watch reporting shows like 60 Minutes, but that show I haven't watched in recent years:  too many of its reports are sloppy and tendentious. (British TV has way better reporting shows.) I've also lost interest in CNN.  And I've never been able to watch Fox News at all.  Something about its whole tone puts me off instantly.  That network also started the practice of running a nonstop headline crawl at the bottom of the screen, which I've always found annoying.

These days I prefer to read my news, in The Globe and Mail or online.

No comments:

Post a Comment