Sunday, January 10, 2016

Boats and ships

When I was young we had a red boat.  She was a Mirror brand dinghy that we assembled at home.  We built her in my room, and there was quite a smell from the paint and resin.  When she was finished, we had to temporarily remove the baseboard from my window to take her out.

We used the boat at our cottage near Northumberland Strait.  You could use it as a rowboat, or add a mast and spars to make it a sailboat.  It had a mainsail and a jib, but no spinnaker.  We never gave her a name.

When I was about four my academic father went on sabbatical for a year and we went to Brighton, England, on the Greek Line ocean liner the Arkadia.  I vaguely remember swarthy Greek waiters serving tomato juice.  When we returned it was the ship's last voyage before being scrapped.  This was 1966, when the jumbo jet was about to take over.

If I won a lottery and became rich, I think I'd travel the world on an ocean liner.

No comments:

Post a Comment