Saturday, January 30, 2016

Movies I didn't finish

A few years ago I walked out of the ballet movie Black Swan, because I found the whole thing rather unpleasant.  It's the sort of thing where ballerina Natalie Portman finds the word "whore" written on her mirror in lipstick.  When I finished my popcorn, I was out.

More recently, I couldn't sit through A Most Violent Year.  It's about a New York businessman dealing with the Mafia, and it's one of those movies where things get bad, then they get worse, then they get even worse...

Some years back I saw the Batman movie The Dark Knight, and it was very effective at giving the audience a sense of dread--so effective that I had to leave.  And I can't sit through movies involving gambling because they scare me.  I tried to watch the pool shark movie The Hustler, but the opening sequence with Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason in a never-ending match got to me and I couldn't watch any more.

When I was little my parents mostly kept me away from scary movies.  But once they took me to see Oliver Twist and the scene where the crowd is chasing him and yelling "Stop, thief!" made me freak out.

When I saw Dead Ringers, with Jeremy Irons as twin gynaecologists in a downward spiral, I managed to sit through it, but I had to close my eyes in the final scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment