Thursday, January 14, 2016

Movies I want to see someday

Over the years, I've seen a lot of movies.  There aren't that many I haven't seen that I particularly want to.  But I can think of a few.

There's a famous Italian director called Roberto Rossellini (who got married actress Ingrid Bergman pregnant, causing a big scandal). He made Paisan, about American soldiers in Italy in World War II, which I still haven't seen.  He also made Germany:  Year Zero, about a German boy after the war, I think.  The movies I've seen by him are great!

I haven't seen any movies by the French director Robert Breton.  My sister Moira really likes him, and the critic Roger Ebert wrote that every cinema lover discovers him sooner or later.  He made the King Arthur movie Lancelot of the Lake, in which the knights' armor keeps making clanking noises.

I'm a fan of Terry-Thomas, the gap-toothed British comic actor who often played cads.  Back in the '50s he made the heist comedy Too Many Crooks, which I'd like to see eventually. (I think Sidney James of the Carry On movies is in it too.)

There's the Chinese satirical comedy Keep Cool, directed by Zhang Yimou (Raise the Red Lantern).  Moira saw it at the Toronto film festival and said it's really runny, but it didn't even get released in Canada!  Neither did Madadoyo, the last movie by the great Japanese director Akira Kurosawa.  I hope I can find them on video someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment