Saturday, October 29, 2016

Back to school

I've always imagined the year starting in September rather than January.  Every year I'd start school hopint that things would be better this time, but they never really were. (I wish you could just got to school and learn, but in practice it's just as much about fitting into a group!)

One thing that depresses me is the rise of "back to school" clothing sales.  So what if your clothes aren't brand new like the other kids'?  What's so terrible about wearing hand-me-downs?

I sometimes have a dream where I'm in school again. (After seeing the trailer for Silence of the Lambs, I had a nightmare where I was back in school and the principal was Hannibal Lecter!) In this dream I sometimes remember that I'm finished with school and don't belong there.  It's like there's part of me that'll never leave school...

I recall Matt Groening's comic strip Life in Hell doing a serious about school.  He had this message for high schoolers: "After you graduate, you can leave this place.  But your teachers have to stay here."

No comments:

Post a Comment