Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Hospitals

I was born on February 5, 1962, on the same day as actress Jennifer Jason Leigh. (That day there was a big planet conjunction and solar eclipse that had some astrologers predicting the end of the world!) I always thought I'd been born at Sackville Memorial Hospital--in Sackville, N.B.--but in my late 30s my parents revealed that the birth happened in our car while Father was driving Mother there.  It was a blue Ford Consul from 1957 or so.  Oh well, who wants to have been born in a hospital anyway?

I was in Sackville Memorial Hospital when I was fifteen for ulcer trouble.  I was hospitalized again in Canterbury, England, four years later, and underwent surgery to remove my ulcer.  I can show you the scar...

My mother spent her last week in the hospital at Yonge and Queen, after falling downstairs.  When she died it happened so fast that I was still asleep.

What's your favorite medical TV show?  Mine is the 1980s series St. Elsewhere, about a run-down Boston teaching hospital.  My favorite characters were the fussy surgeon Mark Craig and his goofy assistant Victor Erlich.

No comments:

Post a Comment