Thursday, October 13, 2016

Clocks

In my hometown of Sackville, N.B., they used to have a revolving clock next to the town hall.  It was a Centennial project from 1967 built by the Lions Club.

Digital clocks seem to be replacing the round analog ones.  In New York City once I saw a digital clock showing the time not to the minute, not to the second, but to the tenth of a second!  Just looking at it put you into a hurry.

Analog clocks got their round shape from sundials.  I once read of a sundial inscription that said, "Let others mark your pain and showers, I'll only mark your sunny hours!"

As I get older, I realize that there's nothing more precious than time.  Money you can sometimes accumulate in unbelievable amounts beyond what you can ever spend.  But time has a tighter limit:  I'll be very lucky to get 100 years, and I've already used up over 50!  I couldn't imagine living long enough to read all the books I'd like to read someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment