Sunday, October 9, 2016

The fog

I used to like misty fog when I was young because the air felt alive. (Or maybe that's just nostalgia.) 

When my parents lived in London in the mid-1950s--my father was earning a doctorate at Imperial College, and they lived in Chiswick--they still had fierce "pea souper" fogs full of chemicals.  They caused several deaths, and they say that the fog alone could make runs in women's nylons!  They've told me of seeing a bus that had a man with a flashlight walking ahead of it to make sure that the way was clear.  They disappeared in later decades, because of the decline in London's heavy industry.
 
Ever see a foghorn on a ship?  When I was little I was fascinate by them.  I saw some cartoon where someone got thrown into a foghorn, and that got me wondering, if you went down into a foghorn, what realms would it take you to?

When I was young I read a Carl Sandburg poem that started, "The fog comes on little cat feet..." There was a jazz singer called Mel Torme, nicknamed "The Velvet Fog."

No comments:

Post a Comment