Thursday, June 15, 2017

Alternative facts

Remember the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes?  When he got in trouble, he'd tell his parents these outrageous, transparent lies that often involved space creatures!

Myself, I try not to tell lies.  I may occasionally lie to someone who's being unreasonable and would just make things worse if he knew the truth.  But there was one time when I was little and my mother asked if I'd had any interesting dreams, and I made up this story of a dream where I was being eaten up by pixies and had ten seconds to die! (She was rather alarmed.) Why do I do things like that?  It must be the Imp of the Perverse.

In my childhood my father once told me that he'd been around when the Magna Carta was signed 800 years ago.  I guess his tongue was in his cheek.

In school they told us it wasn't true that Chinese schoolkids were taught to use real guns.  Who cares whether it was true, that sounded cool!

I remember the fuss over Watergate when I was eleven and they were questioning the veracity of everyone in the Nixon administration.  At least they cared about truth and ethics back then, unlike with Iran-Contra when I was 25.  Someone came up with a match puzzle where you moved matches around to produce "a crooked little man in a crooked little house": the answer was the letters N-I-X-O-N!

Here's a joke:  How do you know when Donald Trump is lying? His lips are moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment