Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The swimming pool

I used to swim when I was young.  Don't do it much today.

I remember how I failed a swimming course at age twelve. It was all very discouraging, right from the early lessons.  I would have quit early on, except that I didn't want to be a quitter.  I'll bet that the instructors looked at me in the first lesson and said, "That's the one who's going to fail!" And they let me sink (not literally!).  I should have just quit.

Three of my siblings failed a swimming course too, but at least they failed together, while I failed alone!

I recall that on the day I failed, we'd bought a new Royal electric typewriter.  So I've always associated that typewriter with my failure.

I remember that the Beverley Hillbillies called their swimming pool "the cee-ment pond"!

No comments:

Post a Comment