Saturday, September 9, 2017

Being kept waiting

I remember once when I was doing my Ph.D. thesis and was having difficulties and had to speak to someone on my thesis committee, but nobody was available!  I had to do a lot of waiting for feedback at that time--in the eighteen months after I finished my first draft I waited a total of almost twelve months!  It was a difficult time for me. (I was lucky to pass.)

A few months ago I go a cellphone so that when I'm late I can phone home and they'll know to wait.  But I still haven't got into the habit of taking it with me!

I remember this Sesame Street sketch where Big Bird had a rendezvous one of the show's humans, but the latter was late. Big Bird started thinking, "Maybe he's tied up somewhere and a monster is tickling him!" Then he imagined, "Maybe he's in the hospital with a broken leg, and a monster will come along and start tickling him!" Fortunately, he turned up safe and sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment