Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Problem solving

When I was thirteen or so, I first heard the expression, "That's your problem!" When I thought about it, it really bothered me that some people would look at somebody else's problem as something they wouldn't help with!  I like to help other people with their problems whenever I can. (My mother was like that too.)

I have Asperger's Syndrome.  Is it a problem for me?  Some people say I'm on the "spectrum" of autistic disorders.  I myself don't care for that view, because compared to what low-functioning autistics are dealing with, my problems look pretty small!  To me it's more of a partial inconvenience.

I like logic problems.  Remember the one that asks, "Who drinks water?  Who owns the zebra?" (I've solved it:  it's the Norwegian and the Japanese respectively.) There was one puzzle I couldn't solve involving parents who have either a son or a daughter.  One of the clues was "Jane is Al's daughter," and I didn't realize that this meant that Al had a daughter instead of a son.  But to my mind, the sentence doesn't mean that! ("Al's daughter is not Jane," on the other hand, would mean that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment