Friday, September 22, 2017

Royalty

I've recently been watching on Netflix the British series The Crown about the early years of Elizabeth II's reign.  It's very intelligent and well-made. (I especially like the actress playing Princess Margaret.) Winston Churchill doesn't come off well--when London's suffering from the deadly pea soup fog, he wants to talk about Prince Philip taking flying lessons!

Prince Philip recently retired from active duties--he's 96 and has been getting senile. (Did you know that when he was a kid, his first language was mainly French?) When I think of Prince Philip I think of Spitting Image, the '80s satirical puppet show that made fun of the royals a lot.  They had him singing songs like "Way down among the common people..." and had dialogue like this:

"Say, are you Prince Philip?"
"Oh, bugger off, you tit!"
"I knew it was him!"

Prince Charles has made some serious mistakes, but I still like him.  And I agree with him that most modern architecture is ugly! (Someone said that the key to understanding Prince Charles is his German roots...)

Personally, I think it's sill for Canada to have a hand-me-down monarchy.  I'm well-disposed to republican government in general, but we could at least have our own king! (It's mostly celebrity worship, of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment