Wednesday, December 6, 2017

I have never been in a...

I've never been in a helicopter or an airship. (I imagine they're pretty noisy anyway.) I've never been in a submarine, but I don't want to do that! And I've never been in a desert or a jungle.

I've never been in jail, but I'm young yet.

I've been to China and Japan, but I've never been to India, not that it interests me that much.  Is seeing the Taj Mahal in person so much better than looking at pictures of it?

One place I haven't gone to that I do want to go to is the Prado art museum in Madrid, Spain.  That place is on my bucket list:  Velazquez and Goya are two of my favorite artists. (Another place on my list is Greenland!)

I haven't been to Russia either. (My sister Moira spent about six months there just at the time of the Chernobyl accident.) Lately I've been having this repeating dream of visiting Russia, which is odd because when I'm awake I don't have any conscious desire to go there!

The Trans-Siberian Railway does appeal to me slightly, as does St. Petersburg's Hermitage art museum. (Kandinsky is another artist I like.) I saw this documentary about it a while ago that talked about how the paintings were removed for safekeeping during World War II and the tour guides would continue to show people around, pointing to the empty frames and describing the pictures that had been in them!  How Russian can you get?

No comments:

Post a Comment