Monday, December 4, 2017

Surprise

I'll admit that Donald Trump's election surprised me.  It wasn't that I had so much confidence in Hillary Clinton--I'd just given up doubting.  It's like this psychologist I knew who was a Croatian Serb before fleeing to Canada.  She told me that when the war broke out nobody could believe it:  they all thought someone would stop it!  It only takes a few true believers to ruin everything.

One cliche in TV and movies that annoys me is people pulling a surprise on you just because it wouldn't be as dramatic if you were forewarned.  For example, if someone disappears and gets reported dead, but later turns out to be alive after all, he won't phone ahead before returning to you; he'll just show up unannounced. (See Ben Affleck in Pearl Harbor, directed by cliche-master Michael Bay.)

I remember this cartoon where Bugs Bunny served the Tasmanian Devil something called "wild turkey surprise." As he served it he sang this song "Atsamadda for you?" in an Italian accent.  The Tasmanian Devil travelled in this cyclone that made all the other animals run away.  I've read that real-life Tasmanian devils are endangered because of an epidemic of this cancer of the snout.

No comments:

Post a Comment