Friday, August 17, 2018

Telling a joke

One of the worst feelings in the world is to tell a joke, only to be informed that it isn't funny.  By that time, it's too late to take the joke back: you've ruined the mood, and it can't be helped now!

People don't tell jokes as much as they used to.  Back in the days of vaudeville a comedian could tell a joke for about seven years until it got that the whole audience had heard it before.  Today, when someone tells a joke on TV, so many people hear it right away that it'll have a far shorter shelf life.

I used to take singing lessons from Giuseppe, who loves jokes. (Especially dirty jokes about nuns.) When I mentioned this to my sister Moira, she suggested that it reflects immaturity!  I'd never thought of it that way.  That begs the question, would you rather have a friend who was mature, or one who laughs at your jokes?

I have a good memory (for most things) and know lots of jokes.  Don't tempt me to tell them all!  I know knock-knock jokes, elephant jokes, Tom Swifties and Mommy, Mommy jokes.  I even made up a Mommy, Mommy joke on my own:

"Mommy, Mommy, why would pirates hide their treasure in the zoo?"
"Shut up and search the lion pit!"

No comments:

Post a Comment