Thursday, September 13, 2018

A letter

People don't write many snail-mail letters any more. (I had to mail someone a cheque the other week and we didn't have any stamps in the house!) But I like the feel of having something on paper that you can even save.

Some twenty years ago I spent eight months in London, England, researching my Ph.D. thesis.  My sister Moira wrote to me a lot.  A few years ago I was searching for something in my room and found a big stash of these letters!  Rereading them took me back to that time.

I must say that Moira is very good at writing letters.  I remember a couple of years before I went to London when she was teaching English in the Czech Republic.  I wrote in one letter to her that I'd never done anything really adventurous, not like what she was doing now.  She wrote back, "Adventure isn't all it's cracked up to be!  The best adventure is getting some work done." Can't disagree.

These letters she wrote were full of funny details, like "P.S.:  Stay away from those London School of Economics loonies!" And her handwriting was very neat. (I'd also saved a letter from my father, but his handwriting is barely legible!)

No comments:

Post a Comment