Thursday, September 6, 2018

Vandalism

I remember that when I was a teenager we had some little poplar trees growing on our front lawn.  We went away on vacation for a week or so, and when we came back someone had hacked them down!  I've always resented that.

When I was in school, textbooks experienced a lot of vandalism.  A book with the title Language Arts would get changed to "language farts." Someone wrote in the front of one book, "In case of fire, turn to page 37." On page 37 he wrote, "I said in case of fire, fag!" Someone else wrote, "In case of fire, throw in!"

In college I used a desk on which someone had written, "Washington owned slaves and blew dope and they won't admit it." I also recall seeing a garage door on which someone had scrawled, "Mr. X was here!"

In my hometown, there was a street sign near the high school that said "Dufferin Street." (There were several streets named after Governors-General.) Some high-schooler added a bit of paint to turn it into "Bufferin Street"!

There's a Calvin & Hobbes episode where Calvin saw Suzy drawing on the sidewalk with chalk and joined her.  He said "Gee, I've never been a real vandal before!" and she said "It isn't vandalism!  The stuff washes right off." So Calvin lost interest, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment