Sunday, September 16, 2018

Forts

I grew up in Sackville in southeastern New Brunswick.  Nearby was the National Historic Park of Fort Beausejour near the Nova Scotia border.  Back in 1755 this was a French fort facing British Fort Lawrence on the Nova Scotia side.  Then the British conquered it and renamed in Fort Cumberland.  Later, during the Revolutionary War, some American rebels attacked it but couldn't take it.

Those forts are interesting historical places.  My mother was born near Fort Louisbourg in Cape Breton, and I've visited it several times.  But I don't remember visiting Fort York in Toronto.

I used to do research at the University of Toronto's Robarts Library, whose design is so brutalist and intimidating that someone nicknamed it Fort Book!  Have you ever seen those British puppet cartoons like Stingray and Thunderbirds?  Those puppets would look at home in Fort Book!

No comments:

Post a Comment