Sunday, September 23, 2018

Aunts & uncles

I'm an uncle.  I have four nieces and one nephew, ages 17 to 29.  The first one was a bit thrilling, but I got accustomed to them.  I haven't seen much of them recently.

I have a Chinese friend who'd call my parents "Uncle" and "Auntie." That's an Asian thing, treating your friends as family.

Did you ever meet a bully who'd force you to the ground and twist your arm, and tell you, "Say uncle"? Or is it just a boy's thing?

On Welcome Back Kotter, Gabriel Kaplan would start the show by telling a joke about his uncle.

There was a Mad magazine article once with definitions for children.  One of them was, "An aunt is to give you clothes for your birthday, instead of toys." Another was, "An uncle is to pinch your cheek, and you can't pinch back.

No comments:

Post a Comment