Thursday, June 6, 2019

Fish

Q:  How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?
A:  A fish.

I eat fish, but I've never gone fishing.  The idea of biting into a piece of food only to get your mouth stuck on a hook that bulls you out of your breathable world gets to me.

I wish they had more fish cakes in the supermarket.  Norwegian supermarkets are full of them!

One food I don't like is unfresh fish.  In my book it's up there with undercooked potatoes!

My mother taught school when she was young.  She told me of one kid who wrote, "The explores found big schools of codfish in the sea, so they knew they were near Newfoundland!"

I knew an Englishwoman who griped that fish and chips in Canada didn't include mushy peas. (How English can you get?) In British fish and chips shops they used to post the sign "Frying tonight," which goes back to the wartime grease shortages when they couldn't fry every night.  I think fish and chips were originally Jewish cuisine!

No comments:

Post a Comment