Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Train station

In my hometown of Sackville, N.B., the railway station was pretty small, with a central waiting room that smelled of dustbane.  Not like Toronto's majestic Union Station.

Of course, Union Station is so grand that you can get lost in it.  I remember once when my mother was coming to visit me in Toronto.  I was waiting for her in the arrivals area, of course.  But she went through a corridor meant for people changing trains and ended up coming out into the departures area on a different floor, and she couldn't find me.  She was a bit goofy that way.

The way things work now, freight trains have the right of way over passenger trains, which have to go to the side and wait for the freight trains to pass, which makes train travel a lot slower.  I think they should change the protocol to give passenger trains the right of way!  That'll make train travel a lot quicker and mean less people travelling by road or by plane.  If we're to be serious about reducing emissions and slowing down climate change, that's the sort of thing we need to be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment