Sunday, June 9, 2019

The desert

I've never been in a desert, though it sounds interesting. When I was little we visited the Warren Dunes on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.  It isn't a desert, but it is a wide expanse of sand dunes.

Canada doesn't have a lot of deserts, though the Arctic tundra has been called a cold desert. There's an area around Osoyoos in British Columbia that's been called a desert, though according to Wikipedia it's a "semi-arid shrub-steppe."

I remember a cartoon where Bugs Bunny was in the Sahara Desert and met up with an Arab Yosemite Same who accused him of "getting footyprints all over my desert!" I've always liked that line.

Tacitus had a good line about Roman conquests: "They turn the land into a desert, and call it peace."

The world's deserts have been growing because of deforestation.  But in some places they've started to reverse the process. (They've been doing a lot of reforesting in China.) I like to watch videos on Youtube showing how that's done.  There's a guy in Africa who's been spreading around his knowledge about how to grow new trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment