Saturday, October 19, 2019

"It's a guy thing"

Speaking as a man, I've never understood this business of women saying, "I have nothing to wear!" You aren't naked, are you?

I remember a scene in the movie Bull Durham where Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins started quarrelling and Susan Sarandon said, "Don't be such guys!"

I was reading an Arabian Nights story involving two brothers and a sister.  They had to go up this hill where all the stones were calling out to you, and if you turned around and looked at them, you'd turn into a stone too! The brothers tried to reach the top but ended up yielding to the voices and became rocks.  But when it was the sister's turn, she put cotton in her ears and got to the top.  She cheated and won.  That's the sort of way women can be smarter than men. (They have less to prove.)

On the other hand, consider this Chinese movie Raise the Red Lantern.  It's about these four women living together, all married to the same man (whom they never show). Of course, the wives keep scheming against each other, with dire results.  It seems to me that if those wives were smarter they'd unite, and scheme against the husband!  If I had four wives, that's what I'd be afraid of.  I guess that teamwork doesn't come as naturally to women as it does to men.

No comments:

Post a Comment