Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Stephen King

I've never read and of Stephen King's books. (Horror isn't my thing.) But I have seen some of the movies based on his writing.

I liked Brian de Palma's movie of Carrie.  That's the one with Sissy Spacek as a girl with a religious nut mother and nasty schoolmates, who develops telekinetic powers and burns down the whole school.  It captured that feeling of being caught between your parents and your peers and not being understood by either.

I also liked The Shawshank Redemption, with Tim Robbins as a lifer who forms an unlikely friendship with prison fixer Morgan Freeman and ultimately transcends their institution.  The Robbins character seemed to have Asperger's Syndrome, like me.

I've also seen Stanley Kubrick's movie of The Shining, with Jack Nicholson as the caretaker in an isolated, mysterious hotel who ends up going berserk and hunting his own family.  It's a controversial adaptation that King himself hated.  I get the impression that the book was about the family, while the movie was more about the hotel itself: 
a haunted-house movie on an epic scale.

I did like some of the shots, like when Nicholson looks down at a model of the hotel maze and then we see his wife and kid playing in the maze, and it's done so smoothly it's like he's looking down at them!  And I like how Nicholson held his menacing axe near the end, with the gait of a caveman.

No comments:

Post a Comment