Monday, October 14, 2019

Resolutions

I'm not big on resolutions. (Years ago one of the wars with Iraq caused me to stop swatting flies.) It seems to me that when people talk about "will power," they really mean the power to do what other people want you to do, so it's really about their will!

One thing I don't like is movies with lame resolutions.  Years ago I saw this movie Mr. Holland's Opus, with Richard Dreyfus as a high-school music teacher.  One of the storylines involved him dealing with a smart pupil in a rather jerky way.  How do they resolve it?  Years later, when he's retiring and his former pupils come to see him again, it turns out that the smart kid has forgiven him!  Yeah, right.

I also remember in Forrest Gump where Gary Sinise is this Vietnam veteran with a severe case of PTSD, but then he spends hours raging at a hurricane and when it's over he's cured!  Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment